14 July 2014

BBC Festival coverage is Déjà vu Coverage



 
Although I have never attended a festival, I have always found myself being at the mercy of the BBC’s coverage of the numerous festivals in the UK. Though this year my fascination with the festival digital coverage has declined, perhaps because it has been diabolical.

Before I begin to indulge in a feisty moan, I will give some of the statistics into the BBC’s coverage of festivals. Digital coverage of events such as the festivals and also sporting events are popular and have gone up by 98% in recent years, perhaps because we all have the opportunity to watch them, whether on our a televisions or simply on a smart phone. This demand for coverage of Glastonbury, other festivals and big events is shown in the set-up of Glastonbury, where 40 miles of the site is made up of cable and 47 cameras, for the BBC’s own coverage of events, yet you wouldn’t know from the number of acts shown in the BBC’s coverage. So readers, here comes my moaning of the coverage.

I will make time to watch the beebs coverage of events but I seem to find myself watching and viewing the same things year in year out, yes these acts might be popular with the majority of viewers but enough is enough. My argument stems from this year’s coverage of Glastonbury, so I turn onto BBC 3 and see the typical presenters. Two hipster BBC Radio 1 presenters, one which is there every year and the other has been brought it to spruce the presenting up, yet this possible agenda of the BBC has back fired. It has become so tedious that I am now switching over half way through. Why do the presenters feel the need to read the social networking feeds of viewers? ”Joe Bloggs said he’s watching from Barbados.” Who gives a? To begin with, I thought that this was just going to be a one off, yet from 7pm start to 11:30 finish, each broadcast was made from these tweets, statuses and snaps. Why? Nobody cares, we as viewers and payers of this have switched over to see the music and performances of these artists not our neighbours thoughts of the coverage. Perhaps we could see this tedious small talk being brought in, on the summary shows in favour of the main shows.

Next, why on earth do the Beeb insist on covering the same artists year in year out and on different festivals. For example, the BBC showed Glastonbury 2014, and the acts predominately shown were; Ellie Goulding, Elbow, Bombay Bicycle Club and Ed Sheeran. Now why do have to sit through the same acts every single broadcast, Miss Goulding appears at every festival, performing the same performance and yet we have to sit through this rather than being able to view a new upcoming act. In the same way Elbow, this act have graced festival coverage every year with their poignant tracks why do still have to watch this? Now the haters will jump down my throat and say, just turn over but when you as a non-festival goer want to watch this, you can’t help but watch the repetition just in case a touch of new jumps in. Also you will say, these are the acts that music listeners like, well yes but can we introduce some new into the listeners. By now, all these acts I have mentioned have performed these sets so many times that I know what they will do. Ed Sheeran for example, will stand there looking like a college student with a guitar singing and trying to get the audience to sing alongside. Whilst Elbow, will just have their front man waving his hand around trying to sway the audiences. See what I mean?

Obviously I understand that viewers of BBC 3 are not wanting to hear full sets from artists I like, who does? My Nan and Dad, if they did the viewers would decline rapidly, as not many other teenagers want to hear Earth Wind and fire or Chic perform? Do you get me? And so, my aggression towards such a petty topic comes to an end and I find myself being slightly more relaxed about the issue. Nevertheless we still have the coverage of Reading and Leeds, so we should expect it, to be the same as I just listed so Im preparing to use the internet to avoid Groundhog day.

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Cornerstone for Thoughts! | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig