17 July 2017

The Summer Trench Coat



When the men start to wear boot cut jeans with flip flops, people forget deodorant exists and women think crop tops and leggings are acceptable you know the Summer has descended. Yet when this comes around, we all start to think we have to dismiss our coats. Now yes; parkers and fur lined jackets can be put in the coat cupboard until it turns bitter in your pitta but the trench coat can remain. The trench coat has been in fashion for 100 years and has been a staple through the history of fashion. It’s a piece that unlike other fashion staples has undergone very little change- designers have kept it’s classic tailoring. Why? Because it works. Every woman, and yes even those who love revealing too much skin like a spot of classic tailoring. Tailoring is all about showcasing some sophistication and wearing clothes that suit and enhance your natural figure. Or, that is, how I see it. How about you?

The trench came into fashion during the 1850’s but became a better know staple in the 20th century when the likes of my fashion icon Audrey Hepburn became a fan of the trench; what is not to love then?

For me, the trench, is a transitional piece because during the bitter in your pitta months you can layer it. Wear it with a knit and a vest whilst in the Summer it becomes a great addition in the cooler evenings and mornings. I find a trench is a great work wear jacket as well as casual because it just doesn’t clash as a result of it's simple yet classy design. Back in January I featured the return of the mac with an Autumnal look and today, I bring you the mac with a Summer look to just show, how such a look can be taken through the year without much adjustment.


I felt showcasing the trench during the Summer, needed a dress. A dress with no tights. How controversial and also with a trench. Double controversial. I find, that wearing any form of jacket more than a blazer we have it in our small minds that is this it is wrong. It isn't, the trench, if I say so, myself looks fab with bare legs and a cute dress. I love a trench, to chuck over a dress just because it looks a lot classier and chicer than a simple cardigan. It also doesn’t date or add 12 years to your appearance. As much as cardigan is a great simple addition for warmth, I always feel 10x older with a cardi so a blazer or trench is a great addition without adding on the years.

I will be the first to admit that I became inspired to wear the trench with a dress because I was flicking through a helpful guide published by British luxury brand Jack Wills. A brand whose efforts with updating classic pieces to the trends of the time. to be top notch. I saw their article about ‘How to style a trench coat’ and had the brainwave that this jacket with a dress is a fab addition. 

I also have fallen in love with the latest additions of trench coats from Jack Wills; they have a fabulous range both in their current stock and in their sale stock. I particularly have fallen in love with their Hathershaw cropped trench coat in navy. I love anything navy; shirts, jeans, shoes and even trench coats. I, however, am rocking a similar style of trench from Zara. This is retailed at £20 and the reason for its nice price tag, you ask, is, is because it originates from the Zara children’s section. If you are petite like moi, you’re in luck because Zara’s age 13 fits me like a dream. I love this and is quite a nice replica for the Jack Wills’ jacket I am craving in my life…

Trench: Zara


How will you be wearing your trench coat this Summer time? 

*THIS POST IS IN PARTNERSHIP WITH JACK WILLS AND THIS HAS NOT IMPACTED OR INFLUENCED ANY OF MY CONTENT*

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Cornerstone for Thoughts! | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig